Learning Something New
I started my first embroidery extreme class last week. It is a 4 week course held at my local quilt shop learning to improve editing and digitizing skills.
The class is two hours in length so there will be lots of prep work before each meeting. Our guide (instructor) is a local resident who shares my passion for machine embroidery, the only requirement was having a basic knowledge of digitizing. There are only 4 of us in the class so it was cozy and fun!
Our first assignment was to create a single word or simple phrase appropriate for a mug rug in a word processing software and save as an embroidery file for applique.
In class we worked on how to create several finishing stitches to our applique as well as other things to consider for good stitch outs.
With Valentine’s Day approaching I chose “Be Mine” in a script font. Below is my finished mug rug using the popular triple bean stitch for the text and satin for the heart. I also added echo quilting lines within the heart. Far from perfect but not bad 🙂
Our other class project was digitizing a strip pieced heart. Again I used a triple bean stitch finish. I made mine into coasters to match a table runner I finished earlier.
I finished my drunkard path heart placemats and made a mug rug for hubby! The LOVE design was purchased from Planet Applique.
Continuing my quest to reduce my pre-cut stash I made a charm pack baby quilt using Blueberry Brights by Karen Lewis for Moda . I used this tutorial to create the X-Plus quilt block. I adjusted the size of the block to use a charm pack.
Joining Linky Tuesday at Freemotion By the River.