One of the father’s loves to fish so I created this quilt to honor his hobby. I sketched out a fish block on graph paper and made it come to life with fabric. The exaggerated eyes are fused on and I will stitch them down while quilting.
The second quilt is for a baby girl. Her room is decorated in bright colors. The wall paper border in her room has really cute spinning tops as part of the design. I wanted to create something to complement the border.
My new machine arrived last Friday and I have literally been sewing non stop ♥♥
This is the first time I’ve ever owned a Juki machine, so far I’m loving it. The Juki DX7 is replacing my Viking Designer SE that I’ve owned for 19 years! Thankfully I didn’t need another embroidery machine at this time so my search focused on something small to take to classes and travel with.
My background in sewing is primarily garment and home dec items and I have purchased many, many types of presser feet accessories over the years. I was super happy to find that many of my favorite Viking accessories are compatible with the Juki.
My favorite presser foot is the Interchangeable walking foot – I have the quarter inch foot, stitch in the ditch, open toe and decorative stitch foot, they are all snap on and I truly love using them. I wish you could have seen me do my happy dance when I found out they worked with the Juki. I did purchase a ruler foot and Angela Walter’s quilting rulers with the new machine — hopefully I will get brave and start practicing free motion quilting.
Below are a few of the items I’ve started and finished over the past few days…
Lastly a picture of Miss Evelyn…I bought a personalized chair for her. My DIL says she loves it!
I’d like to share with you my first commissioned quilt! The customer wanted something in yellow and gray and left the design choice to me and most important wanted the quilt in the mail by Friday (today) for a shower next week.
I had a few yellow and gray fat quarters in my stash so I got busy.
cut the FQ’s into 2.5 inch strips
sewed 3 strips together
cut each strip into 6.5 inch squares
paired each pieced square to a white 6.5 inch square to create half square triangles
squared the hst’s to 6 inches
arranged the blocks into a 6 x 6 layout
added a 1.5 inch inside border
added a 3.0 inch outside border
straight line quilting along the seams with my walking foot
I usually gift most items I make so it was weird/good to get paid 🙂
I fell in love with the diamond star string quilt layout, and decided I had to make one for myself! I created a template using these instructions from MaryQuilts.com and started cutting strips in increments of 1.5/2.0/2.5 and 3.0 inches wide from a fat quarter bundle of batiks. I used a couple of Grunge fabrics in off white as the foundation. Using the fabric as the foundation was perfect, my blocks were nice and stable, yes a little heavy but not too much.
I made 36 blocks creating a 48 x 48 inch wall hanging. I love the bright colors! We have high ceilings and lots of wall space so hubby and I are trying to decide where to hang it!