I started and finished a few projects this morning using one type of the Quilt As You Go (QAYG) method! They were so easy I wanted to share them with you.
I love pot holders! I cook 5 out 7 days each week and use pot holders constantly.
QAYG – Potholders
- Start with 2 squares of Insul-Brite measuring 10 x 10 inches for the front and back of your potholder
- Strip piece 4- 2.5 x 11 inch rectangles directly onto both squares of Insul-Brite
- finger press your seams
- Add a piece of cotton batting between your front and back piece – quilt along the seams to join the 3 pieces
- trim potholder to 9 or 9.5 inch square
- sew a basting stitch around the entire potholder
- Bind – I used one 2.5 x WOF for each potholder
Enjoy your potholder!
QAYG – Table runner
I needed a runner for my coffee table.
My requirements were:
- 12 to 16 inches tall and 32-34 inches wide.
- inspiration : candy cane
- use red & white metallic fabrics
After I found scrap batting in the size I needed. I cut the white strips 4.5 x WOF and the red strips 2.5 x WOF.
Starting in the center I pieced the fabrics directly on the batting at a slant to give it the candy cane illusion.
- trim the sides
- add backing
- echo quilt along seam lines
These placemats measure 12 x 16. Fabric is from Timeless Treasures.
I used 4 strips 3 x 16.5 inches per placemat.
- I sewed the strips on to the batting
- Added backing – placing right sides together
- sewed around leaving opening
- turned right side out
- top stitched around entire placemat to close the opening
- echo quilted along seams